Tuesday 21 July 2020

Icelandic Thunder Bread (no molasses)

I tried another version of Icelandic thunder bread a few weeks back. I liked it, but I felt like the combination of brown sugar/molasses and whole grain flour made it taste more like a giant bran muffin than bread. It's honestly a nice option if you're looking for a lower fat alternative to the standard bran muffin!

I wanted something that let the rye shine a little more though. This recipe doesn't call for any brown sugar or molasses and uses a higher proportion of rye flour in the batter, so I was hoping it might provide a better rye flavour. That said, there's a lot more sugar in this recipe than the first one I tried. It's not a bad loaf, but it is very sweet. I think I'd probably halve the sugar if I was making it again. I've adjusted the recipe below to reflect this.

Icelandic Thunder Bread

Slightly adapted from The Travel Bunny

Ingredients

  • 320g whole rye flour
  • 85g all-purpose flour
  • 100g sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 450mL milk

Directions

  1. Combine flours, and sugar.
  2. Sift in baking powder.
  3. Add sugar and thoroughly mix.
  4. Pour in milk and mix until just comgined.
  5. Pour batter into greased and floured casserole dish.
  6. Cover casserole dish and place on trivet inside slow cooker/InstantPot with enough water to come about halfway up the side of the dish.
  7. Set slow cooker to high and allow bread to steam for 4 hours.
  8. Carefully remove casserole dish from slow cooker/InstantPot, uncover, and allow to cool for 10-20 minutes.
  9. Turn bread out onto wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment