Monday 29 June 2020

Quick Mu Shu Pork

I made a pork and egg pie the other day. It was delicious, but it did end up leaving me with ~200g of ground pork to use up. A day or two later Alex chose NZ-style "pancakes" (aka crêpes) as her cooking/baking project for the day. So, when I was looking online for ideas of what to do with my leftover pork and came across this quick mu shu pork recipe, I figured it was perfect. NZ pancakes/crêpes are not quite the same as the pancakes traditionally served with mu shu pork, but they make a reasonably approximation. And they're a lot lower effort.

Since I didn't has as much pork as the recipe called for and I also didn't want to go out and buy more, I decided to make up the difference with crumbled tofu. This worked really well! I also made up a batch of braised mushrooms to go with it. The strong flavours of the mushrooms complemented the pork extremely well.


Quick Mu Shu Pork

Slightly adapted from Woman's Day

Ingredients

  • 500g ground pork1
  • 1 Tbsp. shaoxing wine or dry sherry
  • 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
  • 1/8 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. canola (or other neutral) oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
  • 1 c. diced jicama2
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix
  • 2-4 Tbsp. water3
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 8-10 pancakes/crêpes/soft tortillas, to serve
  • hoisin sauce, to serve

Directions

  1. Combine pork, wine, dark soy, and white pepper and mix well.
  2. Heat oil over medium-high heat.
  3. Add pork and cook for 1 minute without stirring.
  4. Cook for 1 more minute, stirring.
  5. Remove pork from pan and set aside.
  6. Add garlic and chili flakes to now empty pan and cook for ~10 seconds.
  7. Add jicama, coleslaw, and water and cook for 2-4 minutes.
  8. Return pork to pan with veggies.
  9. Add green onions, sugar, and light soy and cook for another minute or so.
  10. Gently warm the tortillas/pancakes if they're not already warm.
  11. To serve, spread a teaspoon or two of hoisin sauce on each pancake, top with pork mixture, fold, and eat!



1 I used ~200g ground pork + ~300g crumbled extra delicious tofu. Back
3 I didn't end up using any jicama in my mu shu pork. I'd intended to swap it out for some parsnips from the garden, but we left them too long and they'd gone all tough and fibrous. It was still good with just the coleslaw mix though! Back
3 Since I was making braised mushrooms along side this, I saved some of the mushroom soaking water and used that as the water for the mu shu pork. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment