Friday 26 June 2020

Banana Toffee Pudding

Sticky toffee pudding is one of my all-time favourite desserts, so when I stumbled across this twist on the classic, I was intrigued. I'm generally a fan of Deb's baking exploits, I like banana bread, I like sticky toffee pudding, and I had a bunch of bananas that needed to be used up ASAP... Perfect!

I tossed in an extra banana because I had three that all needed to be used and an extra egg because our eggs are a little on the small side and we have a tonne of them right now. Oh, and I halved the salt as usual. Other than that, I made the recipe as written. I didn't bother with the whipped cream to serve. It would've been lovely, but it was still plenty tasty without and I didn't feel like dirtying another bowl.


Banana Toffee Pudding

Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients

Cake

  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2-3 mashed bananas
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 230g all-purpose flour

Sauce

  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 c. heavy (35%) cream
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

Cake

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and flour a 20cm (8") square cake pan.
  2. Whisk together butter, salt, brown sugar, granulated sugar, molasses, and vanilla extract.
  3. Whisk in eggs followed by mashed bananas and buttermilk.
  4. Sift in baking powder and baking soda and mix well. After the powders are mixed in, give the batter another 10-20 stirs.
  5. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
  6. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 25-35 minutes.
  7. While cake is baking, make sauce.
  8. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack.
  9. Cut into 5cm (2") cubes.
  10. Spoon a bit of sauce over each cake portion.
  11. Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.

Sauce

  1. Combine butter, cream, and sugar in a pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
  2. Simmer, whisking constantly, for ~5 minutes. Sauce will thicken, but it may be hard to tell while it's simmering.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment