Sunday 19 January 2020

Manjal Mullangi Pattani Kari (Indian-Style Carrots and Peas)

I was looking for a relatively simple vegetable side-dish to serve with the beef curry I made for dinner tonight and this worked out quite nicely. I ended up serving the beef over rice along with some leftover kale, mixed flatbreads (naan and paratha), and these spiced carrots and peas.


Manjal Mullangi Patani Kari

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. unrefined sesame or canola oil1
  • 1 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 3/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1 tsp. coriander seeds, ground
  • 1/2 tsp. Sambhar Masala
  • 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 400g carrots2, peeled and sliced into coins
  • 2 c. frozen green peas
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions

  1. Heat oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until they stop popping (30-60 seconds).
  3. Immediately add onion and cook until nicely browned (2-3 minutes).
  4. Add salt, cumin, coriander, Sambhar masala, and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly for a minute or so.
  5. Add carrots and peas and stir to coat.
  6. Pour in water and bring to a boil.
  7. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
  8. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
  9. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.



1 I only had toasted sesame oil, so I decided to go with 1 Tbsp. each of canola oil and toasted sesame oil. Back
2 I only just realized I ended up using way more carrots than the recipe called for. Technically it was only supposed to be 227g of carrots, but I had a brain fart when converting to metric and was thinking it wanted 450g of carrots and I'd just make do with the 400g I had on hand. Whoops! Oh well, I liked it with the extra carrots and I'd probably do it just the same way if I were making it again. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment