Monday 28 December 2015

Crêpes

I have a whole bunch of recipes to catch up on -- including some new curries -- but, for now, I'm just going to quickly write up these crêpes.

Basic Crêpes
Slightly adapted from allrecipes.com
4 eggs
1 c. water
1 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. salt (I totally forgot to add the salt to my batter!)
2 c. flour
1/2 c. icing sugar

1. Beat eggs with water, milk, and butter.
2. Sift in flour, salt, and sugar. (I forgot to add any salt to my batter, but the crêpes didn't seem to suffer any from the lack.)
3. Lightly grease a non-stick pan and pre-heat over medium heat.
4. Pour ~1/4 c. of batter into the pan and tilt the pan to get a thin, even layer.
5. Cook, shaking pan frequently. When the crêpe releases from the pan and slides around when shaken, it's done on that side. Flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds or so.
6. Fill crêpes as desired and serve.

We had a selection of fruits, cheeses, and spreads available to go with our crêpes. Suggestions below:
  • Nutella
  • Peanut butter and fresh raspberries 
  • Strawberries and chocolate sauce
  • Blueberry compote and brie
  • Banana slices and Nutella
  • Lemon juice and granulated sugar
  • Apple pie filling (preferably home-made)
  • Bananas in caramel sauce
Blueberry Compote
Frozen blueberries
Icing sugar
Maple syrup
Corn starch
(Lemon juice)

I was flying by the seat of my pants for this one, so I'm not sure of exact measurements or proportions. I think I used a bit over a cup of blueberries, ~1/4 c. each of sugar and syrup, and a Tbsp. or so of corn starch. It was pretty much just a case of mixing everything together in a pot and heating it until it thickened. It came out pretty well considering how haphazardly it was thrown together. I think I'd probably add ~1 Tbsp. of lemon juice and a few extra Tbsp. of maple syrup next time, but I'm pretty pleased with it overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment