Wednesday 30 December 2015

Stuffing with Bacon (and Mushrooms)

I love homemade stuffing, but I've never really made it before. I mean, my mom showed me how she did hers once when I was a kid, but I don't remember enough to re-create it. I decided to give it a go this year. I pretty much just grabbed the first recipe I found and rolled with it since i was in a bit of a hurry. It did come out tasty, if somewhat drier than I'd prefer. And I think it'd definitely benefit from the addition of mushrooms next time!

Stuffing
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1 lb. bacon
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
7 ribs celery, chopped
227g cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. poultry seasoning (recipe below)
2 loaves day-old bread, cubed OR 1 bag of "stuffing croutons"
4 c. chicken stock
1 c. milk (optional)
2 eggs, beaten

Poultry Seasoning
8 parts fresh sage
3 parts dried thyme
2 parts dried marjoram
2 parts dried rosemary
4 parts dried parsley
1 part black pepper
1 part ground nutmeg (optional)


1. Cook bacon, drain on paper towel lined plate and cut into bite-sized pieces.
2. Add butter to pan with bacon drippings and melt.
3. Cook onion, celery, and mushrooms in butter-dripping mixture over medium heat until softened.
4. Stir in poultry seasoning and bacon pieces.
5. In a very large bowl, combine bread and onion-bacon mixture.
6. Add chicken stock. If stuffing is still too try for your liking add an additional cup of stock or a cup of milk.
7. Stir in eggs.
8. Pour into roast pan and bake at 400F until desired doneness. (I baked mine in two batches; 30 minutes each.)

No comments:

Post a Comment