We've made some changes from the original recipe. Boneless skinless chicken thighs are used instead of bone-in, skin-on; the amount of pancetta is increased; and the chicken is broken up and mixed with the beans rather than served on top of them.
- 2½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 oz pancetta, chopped fine
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ~2 tsp rosemary
- 2 (15-oz) tins of cannellini (white kidney beans)
- 1 C chicken broth
- If you're going to marinate the chicken, do so now. We just seasoned it with salt and pepper and found that inadequate.
- Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and preheat to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, ~5-7 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Roast until chicken registers 175°F internally, ~12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the pancetta, garlic, and rosemary in the pot and cook until garlic is golden brown, ~3-5 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, and ¼tsp pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, ~10 minutes.
- Break up roasted chicken thighs (if desired, and if not already cut apart; I found that breaking each thigh into 2-3 pieces with a spatula was sufficient) and return to the pot, including any juices that have accumulated on the baking sheet. Mix and serve.