Tuesday 17 November 2015

Stove-Top Steel-Cut Oatmeal

My mom used to make porridge with apples and raisins in the mornings before school when I was little. I still make it every once in a while, but I'm usually in too much of a hurry to bother with the stove. It works pretty well with quick oats and water from the kettle, but stove-top is always better.

I've always used either quick oats or (old-fashioned) rolled oats for my baking and porridge needs. I've heard good things about steel-cut, but I've always been a bit intimidated by them. Besides, with the grains being more intact, I wasn't sure if steel-cut oats would make a nice creamy porridge like I like. I was worried it'd be hard little oat nuggets suspended in a watery "broth". So, when I saw this Cook's Country recipe that specifically called for steel-cut oats (and promised creamy, delicious results) I had to give it a try!

Steel-Cut Oatmeal
Cook's Country December/January 2015/2016
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 c. steel-cut oats
4 c. water
1/2 c. raisins
1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1. Melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add oats and toast, stirring constantly for ~2 minutes.
3. Stir in water and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the raisins while the oats simmer to allow them to plump up in the hot water.
5. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.

This makes way more porridge than I need to feed just me and the toddlebot in the morning, so I think next time I'll halve the recipe. I'd also add some chopped apple and a bit more cinnamon for added fruity goodness (and also a bit of nostalgia).

Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 c. steel-cut oats
1 apple, peeled and chopped
2 c. water
1/4 c. raisins
1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

As above, but toast the apple pieces with the oats before adding the water.

Steel-cut oatmeal is definitely a different experience from rolled oatmeal. The grains do stay more distinct and a little firmer. But the porridge still gets nice and creamy, not the watery broth that I'd feared. It's sort of like a sweet, oat-based risotto. Different, but still quite tasty. I'm excited to try more variations in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment