Friday 30 August 2024

Nadru Haak (Lotus Root Curry)

I was a bit dubious of this curry. I find lotus root can be a bit hit-or-miss for me. And I have to admit, curry does not seem like a natural place for it. I mostly associate it with Chinese cooking. This actually came out quite nicely though. I picked up a bag of frozen sliced lotus root from the Indian grocery and, not only did it make this recipe an cinch to prepare, but the roots were much smaller than what I'm used to seeing for sale fresh. I quite liked the dainty, bite-sized pieces!



Nadru Haak

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1-2 Tbsp. canola (or other neutral) oil
  • 2 dried red Thai, cayenne, or arbol chilies
  • 2 black cardamom pods
  • 6 c. shredded fresh kohlrabi leaves
  • 225g frozen sliced lotus root (or fresh lotus root, peeled and sliced)
  • 1 tsp. fennel seeds, ground
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/4 c. whipping (35%) cream

Directions

  1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the chilies and cardamom pods and sizzle for 15-30 seconds.
  3. Add the kohlrabi leaves a bit at a time, cooking until wilted.
  4. Add the lotus root, ground fennel, ginger, and salt and stir-fry for a minute or two.
  5. Add the water and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lotus root is fork tender (15-20 minutes).
  7. Add the cream and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly (~5 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment