Saturday 8 June 2024

Khoya Elaichi Mutter (Green Peas with Khoya-Cardamom Sauce)

I almost didn't make this curry. It was late. I'd already made a dal and TF had cooked some rice. And it was even a somewhat vegetably dal with lots of fenugreek leaves in it. So, in theory, I didn't actually need another curry. But I wanted one. And I've been eyeing this one for ages.

Unfortunately, it calls for khoya (milk solids). I've never made my own khoya. It involves a very long process of boiling milk down until it ceasing being milk and forms a solid, dough-like mass. It's simple, but time-consuming. So, on the rare occasions that I do cook with khoya, I usually buy it in ready-made bricks from the Indian grocery.

This is fine when I've planned ahead. But on days like today when I'm just trying to throw something together last-minute, I really don't want to have to deal with either option. Making the khoya or buying it are both too much hassle for me for a quick meal or side dish.

Hence, almost not making this curry. In the end though, I decided that I was alright with the prospect of a very late dinner and measured out some milk and started cooking it down.

It did, indeed, take quite a while, but the results were delicious! TF is completely in love with this sauce. She just wants to eat it on everything! And I have to admit, I am also a big fan. It's so good it kind of outshone the dal that was meant to be the main dish! I would definitely make this one again. That delicious creamy-spicy sauce is worth the effort!



Khoya Elaichi Mutter

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. plain yogurt
  • 1/4 c. khoya
  • 1/2 tsp. green cardamom seeds
  • 1-2 Tbsp. ghee
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp. ground Deggi chilies1
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 450g frozen green peas
  • 1/2 tsp. Punjabi garam masala
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Combine the yogurt, khoya, and cardamom in a blender and purée until smooth.
  2. Heat the ghee over medium-high heat.
  3. Add the cumin seeds and sizzle for 15-30 seconds.
  4. Pour in the yogurt sauce and add the ground chilies and sea salt.
  5. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until some of the ghee starts to separate (~5 minutes).
  6. Add the water and the pease and bring to a boil.
  7. Cook, uncovered, boiling vigorously (increase heat if necessary), and stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens (~15 minutes).
  8. Stir in the garam masala.
  9. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.



1 Iyer suggests that if you can't find Deggi chilies, then 1 tsp. of ground cayenne + 1 tsp. of sweet paprika will make a reasonable substitute. I opted to use 1 tsp. of ground Kashmiri chilies + 1 tsp. of sweet paprika for mine. This produces a slightly milder result than using cayenne, but I really enjoy the flavour of the Kashmiri chilies. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment