Monday 17 June 2024

Bund Gobhi Kakadi nu Salade (Cabbage-Cucumber Salad)

I had initially been intending to do some baked cod for dinner last night, but, when dinner time rolled around... I just wasn't feeling it. So I flipped through the curry cookbook instead. I started at the back and worked my way forward until I got to this interesting salad recipe.

It's hot here right now, so the idea of a nice, cool salad for dinner was quite appealing. And it meant that I could finally use up the cabbage and cucumber out of the fridge! Granted it was napa cabbage rather than the green cabbage the recipe called for, but I had a hunch that I could get away with making that swap in this instance.

I made the recipe to spec initially and it was good. That said, I felt like it could stand to be a little punchier, so I added a couple tsp. of Maharashtrian garam masala. I think that helped, but I might be inclined to add a minced green chile next time as well. Still... it was a tasty refreshing salad for a hot day.



Bund Gobhi Kakadi nu Salade

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1 small head cabbage, shredded
  • 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
  • 1/2 c. shredded fresh coconut1
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 fresh green Thai, finger, or serrano chile, minced (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 c. raw peanuts (without skins)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. mustard oil
  • 1 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 1/4 tsp. ground asafetida
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1-2 tsp. Maharashtrian garam masala (optional)

Directions

  1. Combine the cabbage, cucumber, coconut, cilantro, chile (if using), sugar, and sea salt and mix well.
  2. Toast the peanuts over medium-high heat until brown and spotty.
  3. Transfer to a molcajete or large mortar and pestle and coarsely grind (to the texture of coarse breadcrumbs). If using a food processor, blender, or spice grinder wait until the peanuts have cooled completely before grinding or else they will become cakey.
  4. Add the peanuts to the salad.
  5. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  6. Add the mustard seeds, cover, and cook until they've stopped popping (30-60 seconds).
  7. Remove from heat and stir in the asafetida.
  8. Allow to cook in the residual heat for 5-10 seconds, then pour the oil mixture over the salad and stir to combine.
  9. Add the lime juice and garam masala (if using) and mix well.
  10. Serve cold or room temperature.



1 Alternatively, use 1/4 c. of dried, unsweetened shredded coconut. Pour over 1/4 c. of boiling water, let stand for 10-15 minutes, then drain and use as directed. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment