Sunday 2 June 2024

Malted Waffles

I have been mostly going through the waffle cookbook in order so far. (And I'm now more than half-way through the book!) I did, however, have to skip over a couple recipes. One got left out because it calls for shellfish and we're still waiting to see if it's safe for the Kidlet to have shellfish. And the other was this malted waffle recipe. I ended up skipping it because I just couldn't find non-diastatic malt powder anywhere. Malted milk? Sure! Malt syrup? Already have some! And I'm pretty sure I could make myself some diastatic malt powder/flour if I cared to. But plain old (non-diastatic) malt powder? That's trickier.

I had already checked the local grocery stores and the health food store. No dice. I figured, if anywhere in town was going to have it, it'd be the Flour Barrel. Unfortunately, things have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to actually go to the Flour Barrel recently!

But I was downtown for a haircut last week and actually both had time and remembered to go have a look before heading home. Sure enough, they had a whole shelf of the stuff! So now I've finally been able to go back and fill in that little gap in my waffle coverage.

I served these with raspberries and chocolate sauce, but I think they'd also be good with maple syrup. Or even ham, eggs, and other savoury toppings.

I don't think these beat out a classic buttermilk waffle for me. But I'm still glad I tried them. It's nice to have a little variety from time-to-time.



Malted Waffles

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 280g all-purpose flour
  • 90g non-diastatic malt powder
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Directions

  1. Preheat your waffle iron.
  2. Combine the flour, malt powder, sugar, and salt.
  3. Sift in the baking powder and stir to combine.
  4. Beat the eggs and vanilla into the milk.
  5. Stir the melted butter into the milk mixture.
  6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  7. Once the waffle iron is preaheated, pour in 1 portion of batter and cook according to manufacturer directions. Repeat until all batter has been used.
  8. Serve with fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and/or maple syrup. Or make them savoury and serve with ham, eggs, bacon, chicken and/or Hollandaise sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment