Friday 19 May 2023

Sausage and Sauerkraut Skillet

I was planning on making myself some savoury sausage crumbles for breakfast the other day. But then breakfast rolled around and I wasn't really feeling it. And come dinner time, I was looking at the recipe and the recommended portion size and thinking that it didn't really look substantial enough to be satiating. So I started casting about for something else to do with chicken sausages. That I could make with the ingredients I already had on hand. And wouldn't take too long. And would be tasty and satisfying. Oh, and wouldn't put me over my Points target for the day. So... a fair few requirements.

Eventually I settled on a recipe for a fairly simple combination of chicken sausage, sauerkraut, and potatoes. I made a few tweaks to match what I had on hand and cut the Points a bit, but I kept the general idea.

It's honestly pretty similar to how we often do perogies. Just with potatoes standing in for the perogies. And, because you're cooking the potatoes in the skillet, it gets a bunch of liquid added as well. (If you decide that you want to make this with perogies, just boil them separately and omit the broth/stock and wine.)

I added a chopped apple to my skillet. I figured it would go nicely with the caraway and sausage. I think a red bell pepper would also be a nice addition. And, if you are doing this with perogies (and you're not dieting), you can always top it with cheese and/or sour cream. Oh, or some good grainy mustard. I think that would also be excellent.

Sausage and Sauerkraut Skillet

Adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 450g potatoes, sliced
  • 450g chicken or turkey sausage, cooked and sliced
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced
  • 1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 c. sauerkraut, rinsed
  • 1/2 c. dry white wine
  • 1 c. chicken stock
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1 apple, chopped (optional)
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat oil over medium heat.
  2. Add potatoes, and cook, stirring frequently for a minute or two.
  3. Add onion and sausage and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add caraway and bay leaf and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
  5. Add sauerkraut, wine, chicken stock, pepper, apple, and bell pepper (if using).
  6. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
  7. Serve alone or with sour cream and/or grainy mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment