Saturday 1 October 2022

Red Pepper Sauce

Personally, I think this is more of a red pepper broth than a red pepper sauce, but I guess it's used more as a topping or garnish for coucous so that makes it more of a sauce? I'm not really sure.

I think, having tried this a couple times now -- once with store-bought harissa and once with homemade harissa -- I'm more inclined to just enjoy the broth and harissa separately. I do like extra broth with my couscous. And I like harissa on everything, but I don't think you really gain anything by cooking them together and adding lemon and oil and whatnot. I know that's not exactly a glowing endorsement of this recipe. I'm mostly just providing it for completeness. But, in my opinion, you'd be served just as well by serving your dish with broth and harissa on the side and not bothering with the pepper sauce.

Red Pepper Sauce

Slightly adapted from The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert

Ingredients

  • 1 c. lamb or chicken broth
  • 2 tsp. harissa
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat.
  2. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment