Wednesday 19 October 2022

Purslane Salad

Wolfert talks up purslane a lot. She describes it as a "great-tasting weed" and advises seeking it out if at all possible.

Well, I had access to it, so I decided to give this recipe a try. I was pretty good. But I doubt I'll make it again, even so. It's not that I was unhappy with the results. It's just too much effort for too little reward.

The purslane I got was mostly stem. And this recipe only uses the leaves. Combine that with how much volume you use after cooking and how long it takes to pick all the leaves from the stems and... I don't feel like it's a winning combination even for a fairly tasty dish. It wasn't bad. But it would've had to have been phenomenal to make it worthwhile for me.

I'm still glad I tried it though. It meant I got to try a new vegetable and see what it was like. And it lets me check off another recipe in the book.

Purslane Salad

Slighlty adapted from The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert

Ingredients

  • 4 c. stemmed purslane leaves, rinsed well
  • 4 large cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 3/4 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 preserved lemon
  • 12 midway olives, rinsed and pitted

Directions

  1. Set up a steamer and steam the purslane leaves, covered, for 12 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat, uncover, and allow to cool.
  3. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze out the excess moisture and set aside.
  4. With a mortar and pestle, molcajete, or similar, pound the garlic and salt to a paste.
  5. Add the chopped herbs to the garlic paste and pound them to a paste as well.
  6. Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-low heat.
  7. Add the herb paste and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  8. Add the purslane and sauté slowly until most of the moisture is gone (~5 minutes).
  9. Empty the pan onto a chopping board and finely chop the salad.
  10. Mix in the paprika, cumin, and cayenne.
  11. Place in a serving dish and allow to cool.
  12. Remove and discard the pulp from the preserved lemon.
  13. Thoroughly rinse the rind and cut it into thin slivers.
  14. Mix the lemon juice and the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil into the salad just before serving.
  15. Adjust salt and lemon juice to taste.
  16. Garnish with olives and preserved lemon rind.

No comments:

Post a Comment