Wednesday 8 June 2022

Chocolate Bundt Cake (Sourdough)

I know I've already made a bunch of sourdough chocolate cakes, but I wanted to try this one, so here it is. I'm pretty happy with it overall, but I do find that I can taste the baking soda a bit. That said, I had fed my starter very recently and it wasn't even fully ripened yet let alone reaching the acidity levels of discard, so it's possible that there just wasn't enough acid to react with the soda and that's why it tastes a bit off.

Chocolate Bundt Cake

Slightly adapted from Northwest Sourdough

Ingredients

  • 225g sourdough discard
  • 1/2 c. oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 170g dark chocolate, melted
  • 200g soft (plain/standard/cake) flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/2 c. boiling water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a Bundt pan.
  2. Combine discard/starter, oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix well.
  4. In a separate bowl, soft together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine.
  6. Add the boiling water and mix well.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30-40 minutes.
  8. Let cool in pan for ~10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.
  9. Serve with whipped cream and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment