Tuesday 4 August 2020

Sourdough Discard Banana Bread

I wanted to make some sourdough donuts, but my starter was hungry and I needed something to do with the discard. I also had a bunch of bananas that were looking a bit over-ripe. So banana bread seemed like the way to go. I used whole wheat flour for this, but I think I'd try it with a mix of white and whole wheat next time. Or possibly just try to convert one of my existing banana bread recipes to use sourdough discard rather than trying to tweak this one.

Sourdough Discard Banana Bread

From The Perfect Loaf

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 4-5 bananas, mashed
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 225g (100% hydration) sourdough starter, unfed/discard
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 240g flour (any kind of flour -- white, whole wheat, einkorn, spelt... whatever)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. Grease and flour a 23x13cm (9x5") loaf pan and preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Cream butter with sugar.
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  4. Mix in bananas, honey, starter, oil, and vanilla.
  5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  6. Stir dry ingredients into wet.
  7. Fold in walnuts.
  8. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 180°C (350°F) for ~1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment