Sunday 13 January 2019

Sourdough Crêpes

I made up a rye sour a little while back for tasty sourdough goodness. I haven't been making much use of it lately though. I like a good sourdough bread, but it's nice to mix it up sometimes too. I've had enough other bread recipes to try that the sour has kind of gone begging.


I'm gonna be taking another crack at the whole wheat sourdough tomorrow. But, in the meantime, I decided to try out some sourdough crêpes. They worked out very well! They're really quick and easy to throw together and all they really need is starter and eggs. There are, of course, lots of other things you can do to use starter/sours but, for sheer simplicity, I think this may become my go-to.

Delicious served warm and filled with Cheddar!

Sourdough Crêpes

Slightly adapted from Cultures for Health

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 c. sourdough starter OR rye sour
  • 1/4 c. whole wheat bread (hard/strong/high grade) flour (optional)

Directions

  1. Beat eggs with salt.
  2. Whisk in starter and whole wheat flour (if using).
  3. Preheat over medium-high heat. If the pan isn't well-seasoned, oil it lightly before you begin cooking.
  4. Pour ~1/4 c. of batter into the pan and spread it very thin (either by using the back of a spoon or tilting the pan).
  5. Flip when top looks mostly dry and full of bubbles.
  6. Cook for another minute or so before removing from heat.
  7. Serve with Cheddar or whatever toppings you prefer. (Spinach goes nicely.)

No comments:

Post a Comment