Thursday 10 January 2019

Onion Tart

Caramelized onions are amazing. I figured a tart full of them would definitely be a winner. I'm sad to say I was a little disappointed with this one. I mean, it was okay, but it didn't blow me away like the Potato, Spinach, and Raisin Tart I made a few weeks back. It was just... alright. I think, if I made it again, I might try adding a little cottage cheese to it. It might also be worth baking it in a 9" (23cm) springform pan rather that the 9" pie plate I used this time. The recipe specifies a "23cm (9 in) deep tart tin", but I think that means something different in the UK than it does here. After watching a few episodes of Great British Bake Off where they make deep dish pies/tarts, the tins they use are very deep indeed and have straight sides as opposed to the sloped sides of the conventional pie plates we use here. This meant that my tart didn't have the expected capacity and I couldn't fit all the custard in the shell, which probably threw off the balance of the recipe a bit. I guess I'll try using a springform pan next time and see if that makes a difference.

Onion Tart

Slightly adapted from The Book of Old Tarts by Elizabeth Hodder

Ingredients

  • 225g savoury/plain shortcrust pastry
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
  • 1 egg white
  • 25g unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 8 onions, peeled and sliced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 425mL heavy (35%) cream
  • pinch of saffron

Directions

  1. Lightly flour your work surface and sprinkle with thyme.
  2. Roll out the pastry on the prepared surface.
  3. Line a 9" (23cm) springform pan with the pastry.
  4. Prick pastry all over with a fork and brush with egg white.
  5. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 25 minutes.
  6. Melt butter and oil over medium heat.
  7. Add onion and sprinkle with salt and sugar.
  8. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  9. Remove lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
  10. Stir in nutmeg and ginger, then remove from heat.
  11. Beat the eggs with the extra yolks and season with salt and pepper.
  12. Add the saffron to the cream and gently warm over medium-low heat until just steaming.
  13. Add warm cream to beaten eggs in a thin stream while whisking.
  14. Spoon the onion mixture into the baked pie shell.
  15. Pour the custard over the onions.
  16. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 25 minutes.
  17. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment