Sunday 21 February 2016

Barbecue Baked Eggs

I've been eating a lot of eggs for breakfast lately. And while fried and scrambled eggs (and variants like omelettes) are delicious, I've started getting bored of them. Yesterday I tried poached eggs on portabello mushroom caps with ham and Branston pickle. That was pretty tasty, although my poached eggs were really messy. And today I decided to experiment with something different again: baked eggs. I'm familiar with the concept of baked eggs, but I'd never actually made or eaten them before. I found a "BBQ" baked egg recipe that sounded nice though, so I figured I'd give that a try. I had a bit of a false start that resulted in undercooked eggs the first time, but after a few more minutes in the oven, I got a really spectacular breakfast out of it!

Barbecue Baked Eggs
Slightly Adapted from Allrecipes
4 eggs
1/4 c. double cream
4 tsp. barbecue sauce
dash cayenne
1/4 c. blue cheese (such as Saint Agur)
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
4 rashers bacon
dash freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook bacon and chop into small pieces.
2. Grease two large ramekins.
3. Break two eggs into each ramekin.
4. Add 2 Tbsp. cream, 2 tsp. barbecue sauce, and a dash or cayenne to each ramekin.
5. Combine bacon with cheese and parsley. Crumble and mix well.
6. Top each ramekin with half of the bacon mixture.
7. Add a dash of black pepper to each ramekin.
8. Bake at 200C (~400F) for 15-20 minutes or until desired doneness.
9. Serve with baked beans and buttered toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment