Thursday 21 January 2016

Summer Fruit Smoothie (for Wintertime)

I was on an oatmeal kick for a while, and that was great. Now I'm giving smoothies a go. I did a few piña colada smoothies initially since they'd worked out well in the past. Still delicious, but I'm all out of pineapple and wanted to try something new this morning anyway. After rummaging around in the freezer, I came up with a selection of frozen fruits that I figured would make for a good smoothie. I think I still need to make some tweaks to the recipe, but I'm happy enough with it for now.

Summer Fruit Smoothie
Slightly adapted from The 5-a-day Menu Planner
~1/3 c. frozen mixed berries
~1/3 c. frozen pitted cherries
~1/4 c. frozen blueberries
~1/4 c. vanilla yogurt
~1/2 c. skim milk

1. Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

While the flavour on this particular smoothie wasn't bad, I found it a little flat. I think I'd mix it up a bit next time to try to make it a bit more lively. I'm wondering if adding a few frozen cranberries might be the way to go. They're quite tart, but that might actually be what this blend needs to kick it up a notch. If the tartness needs to be offset a bit, I might try adding either a little bit of honey or maybe even some strawberry jam!

Hopefully I can try this one out again tomorrow (with a few modifications) and report back. I think there's definitely potential here, it just needs a little adjustment to get the balance of flavours just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment