Easy, tasty, and comes together relatively quickly = Weeknight winner!
Rhode Island Dynamites
Slightly adapted from Cook's Country June/July 2015
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
3/4 tsp. pepper, divided
2 lbs. ground beef
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used orange because they looked the nicest this week)
1/4 c. minced pickled hot cherry peppers + 2 Tbsp. brine
1/4 c. tomato paste
1/4 c. garlic paste
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
Sub rolls or hot dog buns
1. Stir baking soda, salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper into 3 Tbsp. water until dissolved.
2. Combine baking soda mixture with beef. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until liquid evaporates and meat starts to sizzle.
4. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until veggies soften.
5. Add cherry peppers, brine, tomato paste, garlic paste, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Add tomato sauce. Stir and scrape bottom of pot/pan. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until desired consistency achieved. (Original recipe calls for 45 minutes of simmering, but we didn't have time for that and called it done after only 10 minutes. It was still delicious!)