I completely forgot to post about this last night after making it! It came out very saucy and definitely wanted garlic bread to go with it. I think next time I'd try wilting a little baby spinach into the sauce as well. Just to make it a little more balanced and use up some of the excess sauce.
Gnocchi with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Slightly adapted from Cook's Country February/March 2015
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb. gnocchi (preferrably vacuum packed)
1 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped
1. Brown the gnocchi in 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Set aside.
2. Add more oil to the empty pan and sauté the onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute or so.
3. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, 1/2 c. water, and cream. (Optionally add ~8 oz. fresh baby spinach at this point.)
4. Return gnocchi to pan. Simmer until gnocchi is tender (5-7 minutes).
5. Transfer to baking dish and top with cheese. Bake at 475F until cheese is browned.
6. Top with basil. Serve with crusty bread/garlic bread