Tuesday 6 January 2015

Beef & Cauliflower Tagine

I actually got to try out my new tagine this past Saturday...



It's so perdy!


...I just haven't really felt up to writing a post 'til now. I'll try to keep this short since the froglet is likely to demand my full attention sooner rather than later.

Beef Tagine with Roasted Cauliflower
Adapted from The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert
1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
5 Tbsp. olive oil
2 lbs. stewing beef
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 small onions, grated
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 (2 lb.) cauliflower
pinch red pepper flakes
1 (14 oz.) can of flame-roasted diced tomatoes

1. Place the tagine bottom on a heat diffuser and gradually increase the heat to medium-low. Mix 1 tsp. salt, black pepper, turmeric, and 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil and add to the tagine.
2. Add the beef and cook gently until lightly browned. Cover the tagine and cook for 15 minutes. No peeking!
3. Add the paprika, ginger, cumin, onion, 1 Tbsp. cilantro, 1 Tbsp. parsley, and 1/2 c. water. Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours. (I turned the heat down to low for this, but I think I'd leave it on medium-low next time.)

4. Cut the cauliflower in half, then slice lengthwise into 1/2"-thick slices. Brush a jelly roll or roasting pan with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Mix the remaining 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil with 1/2 tsp. salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes and toss with the cauliflower.
5. Place the cauliflower in a single layer in the oiled pan and roast for 15 minutes at 400F. Turn the slices and roast for another 15 minutes.
6. (My tagine wasn't big enough to hold the cauliflower and the meat simultaneously, so I switched to doing things in the roasting pan at this point.) Add the tomato, 1 Tbsp. cilantro, and 1 Tbsp. parsley to the cauliflower. Combine the meat and cauliflower and bring to a boil.

7. Correct seasoning as needed with salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and/or lemon juice. (I chose to serve over couscous. Not necessarily traditional, but definitely delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment