Saturday 10 January 2015

Banana Velvet Smoothies

Every once in a while, I like to buy smoothies when I'm at the grocery store. This time, a banana-pineapple-coconut blend caught my eye. I was about to put it in my cart... but then I started thinking about how easy it would be to re-create this on my own. So I put it back and instead went and grabbed a pineapple. (I cheated and got a cored, peeled one because it worked out to be both cheaper and easier). I was already getting bananas for the froglet anyway, so now it was just a matter of deciding what to do about the coconut.

I contemplated the fresh coconuts for a while but, in the end, decided that coconut water was the way to go. (Based on the ingredients list in the smoothie, that was their only source of coconut anyway.) There was no yogurt included in the pre-made smoothie, but I decided that it might make a nice addition, so I picked up a tub of my favourite vanilla yogurt.

My smoothies came out delicious and were dead easy to make! I really should do this kind of thing more often!

Banana Velvet Smoothie
1/3 banana
1/3 pineapple, cut into large chunks
~120mL toasted coconut water
~60mL vanilla or coconut yogurt (optional)

1. Add all ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth.

TF had his smoothie without the yogurt. I was worried that it might be too runny, but the banana gives it a nice, thick, smooth consistency and helps to mellow out the acidic pineapple.

I had been planning on adding vanilla yogurt to mine, but realized as I was getting ready to make it that there was still a bit of coconut yogurt in the fridge that needed to be used up. This worked out really well as it added an extra hit of coconut to the mix and helped it stand out a little more.

I also tried a version that omitted the banana, going for more of a piƱa colada sort of vibe. You definitely notice the acidity of the pineapple a lot more without the banana, but I'm okay with that. Both versions were really excellent and I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favourite. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment