Monday 15 December 2014

Lemon Cookies (Fluffy)

So, I had some lemon juice and a bunch of lemon sugar and cranberries left over from making my lemon-cranberry muffins. Seeing no reason for them to go to waste, I decided it was time to make some lemon cookies! I headed back over to AllRecipes to see what popped up in a general search for "lemon cookies".

It came down to a choice between lemon sugar tea cookies and lemon chewy crisps. I decided to go with the "chewy crisps" mainly because they actually called for both lemon juice and zest while the other recipe called for neither and I would've been splicing them in somewhere along the way.

As usual, I ended up changing things around a bit, but I stuck pretty close to the recipe as written.

Lemon Chewy Crisps
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. lemon sugar (rind of 1 lemon per 1 c. sugar)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. white bread flour (only because I was all out of all-purpose flour)
24 fresh cranberries

These have a nice, light lemony flavour. The lemon is definitely noticeable, but not super strong. If I were making these again, I might consider adding some extra lemon zest and/or a bit of lemon extract.

Given the recipe title and the description, I was expecting cookies that were slightly crisp around the edges (and maybe on the bottom) and chewy everywhere else. The dough didn't spread nearly as much as I was expecting though, so the edges got little-to-no crisping and the rest of the cookie was actually more fluffy and cake-y than chewy. They are quite light and are nice enough if that's the texture you're after, but certainly not what I was expecting. 'Though I did quadruple the amount of lemon juice, left out the vanilla extract entirely, and ended up using a different kind of flour than I was supposed to, so that likely had an effect on the final texture. That said, I think I'll still try the other recipe next time instead of repeating this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment