Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Beer-Braised Chicken Stew

This is a very rich stew served in a buttery mustard gravy. The beer in question was meant to be a porter, but I used stout. I also used ~250mL less liquid than the recipe called for. I also used less chicken than called for and a mix of drumsticks and thighs rather than just thighs. I doubled the onions and added a bit of garlic as well.

The resulting stew was excellent! That said, I think it could've used more vegetables. I think I'd put more carrots and potatoes next time and/or add a bit of turnip/swede or something.

Beer-Braised Chicken Stew

Adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1-2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1.2-1.5kg chicken pieces
  • salt and pepper
  • 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
  • 2 onions, halved and sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 400-500g carrots, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
  • 500-600g potatoes, cut into 4cm pieces
  • 1 kumara, peeled and cut into 4cm pieces
  • 1 rutabaga/swede, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces (optional)
  • 500mL stout
  • 500mL chicken broth
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. Dijon or Roman mustard
  • 2-3 tsp. tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. hot water

Directions

  1. Heat the oil over medium heat.
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear for a few minutes on each side.
  3. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
  4. Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in the pot.
  5. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened and beginning to brown.
  6. Add the bay leaf, carrots, potatoes, kumara, and rutabaga (if using).
  7. Add the stout, chicken broth, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, and thyme.
  8. Return chicken to pot and bring to a boil.
  9. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
  10. Mash the remaining 5 Tbsp. of butter with the flour to form a paste.
  11. Slowly add 2 c. of the cooking liquid to the flour paste while stirring until smooth.
  12. Pour gravy back into pot.
  13. Rinse out measuring cup the gravy was mixed in with the hot water and pour that into the pot as well.
  14. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
  15. Check to make sure chicken is cooked through, season to taste, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment