Monday, 7 September 2026

Apple Bread Pudding

We had a bunch of dried out bread heels and odds and ends in the cupboard, so I decided that a bread pudding was in order. I had to increase the amount of custard called for by quite a bit. But my bread was also very, very dry, so I think it needed a bit more liquid than expected to properly hydrate it. I'm also not sure exactly how much bread I used. I just kept putting in bits until it looked like a good amount for the baking dish. I also used a mix of fresh and dried apple rather than purely dried as called for in the recipe. I think I'd put even more fresh apple in next time!

Photo goes here.

Apple Bread Pudding

Adapted from Dessert of the Day by Kim Laidlaw

Ingredients

  • stale bread (enough to cover bottom of 23x33cm baking dish), cut/broken into 3cm chunks
  • 1-2 apples, peeled and diced
  • 1/2-3/4 c. chopped dried apple
  • 2 Tbsp. raisins or dried currants
  • 2 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 4 large eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar

Directions

  1. Grease a 23x33cm baking dish.
  2. Scatter the bread in the bottom of the baking dish.
  3. Scatter the apples and raisins on top.
  4. Beat the eggs and brown sugar into the milk.
  5. Mix in 1 tsp. of the cinnamon, the vanilla, and the nutmeg.
  6. Pour the custard over the bread and set aside for 30 minutes, pressing the bread down into the custard periodically.
  7. Meanwhile, mix the remaining cinnamon with the sugar and set aside.
  8. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
  9. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the surface of the pudding.
  10. Bake at 160°C (325°F) for ~1 hour.
  11. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
  12. Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment