Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Banana-Honey Cake

I wanted dessert. I didn't want anything that require too much effort. Or an overnight chill. And I wanted to be able to make it with ingredients on hand. And to be tasty without being too rich.

This banana cake fit the bill. Although it looked overly sweet recipe-as-written. So I halved the sugar and honey. I also reduced the butter by 20% and replaced half of the remaining butter with unsweetened applesauce. Mostly because butter is very expensive here and I was trying not to use too much. And then, just for fun, I decided to replace 140g of the flour with whole wheat flour.

I'm happy with how it came out in the end. It's tasty without being decadent. Having tasted it, I think it probably would've been fine if made according to the original recipe, you'd just want to be prepared for a quite rich, sweet cake.

I do think that either version would benefit from some additional banana. Two bananas makes for a subtle banana flavour, but I think I'd appreciate a more intensely banana-y cake. I might up it to three or four bananas next time. It might also be nice to try replacing the brown sugar with additional honey just to double down on the primary flavours.

Banana-Honey Cake

Adapted from Dessert of the Day by Kim Laidlaw

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. honey (or 1/4 c. brown sugar + 1/4 c. honey)
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 3-4 bananas
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 315g soft (plain/standard/cake) flour (or 140g whole wheat flour + 175g plain flour)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 20cm square cake tin.
  2. Cream the butter with the honey.
  3. Mix in the applesauce.
  4. Beat in the bananas, followed by the eggs and vanilla.
  5. Sift in the flour(s), baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
  6. Pour batter into preapared tin and smooth top.
  7. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30-35 minutes.
  8. Let cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment