Tuesday 16 July 2024

Uppama (Spiced Cream of Wheat)

This recipe has been staring at me from the pages of 660 Curries for years. I kept telling myself that I'd try it... sometime, but I never quite managed it.

I'd never tried cream of wheat before, but I've heard jokes about its awfulness as a breakfast porridge. Those attitudes made me somewhat reluctant to give it a go. And then, on top of that, I'm supposed to add all of these spices and vegetables?! I wasn't convinced that would be a winning combo.

However, Iyer has once again proved me wrong! This was great! TF actually said it was a favourite for her. And, while I don't think it rose to quite that level for me, I did enjoy it a great deal.

I appreciate that this dish makes a relatively quick and easy substrate that actually incorporates a few veggies. Not a lot to be sure, but at least it's something!



Uppama

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 1/4 c. raw cashews
  • 1 Tbsp. skinned split black lentils (mapte beans/urad dal)
  • 6 dried red Thai, cayenne, or arbol chilies, stems removed
  • 2 c. frozen green peas
  • 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 2 c. water
  • 12 fresh or frozen curry leaves
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 4 fresh green Thai, finger, or serrano chilies, halved lengthwise
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 c. non-instant cream of wheat (sooji)

Directions

  1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the mustard seeds, cover, and cook until they've stopped popping (30-60 seconds).
  3. Add the cashews, lentils, and dried chilies and stir-fry until the chilies blacken (1-2 minutes).
  4. Add the peas and turmeric and stir to coat.
  5. Add the water and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the curry leaves, salt, fresh chilies, and cilantro.
  7. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cream of wheat.
  8. Cover and cook until the grains swell up (~5 minutes).
  9. Fluff with a fork and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment