Saturday 19 August 2023

Tomato, Arugula, and Goat Cheese Frittata

Surprisingly, this is an egg recipe not from the egg book! I decided to peruse some of the digital cookbooks we got in the Humble Bundle a while ago and figured I'd give one of their frittatas a try.

Their approach is slightly different than Simmons'. They add milk to their eggs to make a savoury custard and only cook it on the stovetop for a few minutes before transfering it to the oven to finish cooking. Ms. Simmons, by contrast, uses no milk and cooks the frittata entirely on the stovetop with only a brief and optional stint under the broiler to brown the top if desired.

I like both approaches just fine. I do think it's a bit easier to get the frittata to cook through properly in the oven. But either way works. And, as far as I'm aware, neither method is the "traditional" way which involves flipping the frittata over partway through cooking. And, while I have, successfully flipped frittatas before, I don't really want to attempt that most days, so I'm content to use one of the easier (but perhaps less traditional) approaches.



Tomato, Arugula, and Goat Cheese Frittata

Slightly adapted from Healthy Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 100g fresh goat cheese1, crumbled
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil2, divided
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 c. chopped tomatoes (preferrably cherry or heirloom)
  • 140g (~5 c.) coarsely chopped arugula, divided

Directions

  1. Beat the eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper.
  2. Stir in the cheese and set aside.
  3. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
  4. Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium heat.
  5. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
  6. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened and some of the juices have evaporated (3-5 minutes).
  7. Stir in 4 c. of the arugula and cook for a few seconds.
  8. Pour in the egg mixture and cook until the bottom begins to set (5-6 minutes).
  9. Transfer to oven and cook until fully set (15-20 minutes).
  10. Top with remaining arugula and olive oil and serve.



1 The recipe calls for goat cheese and that's what I ended up using. But what I actually wanted to do was try swapping in some pressed cottage cheese for the goat cheese. Sadly, I wasn't able to get any this week, so I grabbed the goat cheese instead. I think the cottage cheese would be really nice here though. And it would make it a little more WW-friendly. Maybe next time... Back
2 The original recipe calls for 1/4 c. of olive oil + more for drizzling! I thought that sounded like way too much, so I cut it back to 1 Tbsp. + 1 additional Tbsp. for drizzling on at the end. Which feels much more reasonable to me. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment