Thursday 24 August 2023

Coconut-Mandarin Soup with Mushrooms

This is a fastasic, easy-to-make soup. I've seen the combination of coconut and lime before, but the idea of using mandarin as the citrus element was new to me. It works quite well though! It makes for a nice, light meal or first course.

The original recipe called for a combination of enoki and oyster mushrooms. I didn't have either of those, but I did have some shiitake and cremini. I used those instead and I was quite happy with my results.


Coconut-Mandarin Soup with Mushrooms

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 (430mL) can lite coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp. mandarin orange zest
  • 1/2 c. mandarin orange juice (from 3 mandarins)
  • 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1 tsp. Thai red curry paste
  • 1 serrano chile1, seeded and minced
  • 2-3 c. chopped mushrooms (preferably a mix of enoki, oyster, shiitake, and/or cremini)
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh Thai basil
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 2 c. steamed rice

Directions

  1. Combine the broth, coconut milk, orange zest, orange juice, fish sauce, red curry paste, and chile and bring to a boil.
  2. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
  3. Stir in basil, salt, and pepper.
  4. Serve over steamed rice.



Variations

Vegan Version

Ingredients

  • 1 c. vegetable broth
  • 1 (430mL) can lite coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp. mandarin orange zest
  • 1/2 c. mandarin orange juice (from 3 mandarins)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 1/2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Thai red curry paste
  • 1 serrano chile1, seeded and minced
  • 2-3 c. chopped mushrooms (preferably a mix of enoki, oyster, shiitake, and/or cremini)
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh Thai basil
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 2 c. steamed rice



1 I didn't add the chile to my soup since I was worried about making it too spicy for the Kidlet. I do think that it would have been nice though. I had actually intended to use a thinly sliced red Thai chile as a garnish that could be individually applied, but I forgot. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment