Sunday 17 July 2022

Sourdough Apple Cake

I wasn't going to bother writing this one up because I messed up and forgot an ingredient. But it turned out pretty good nonetheless, so I figured maybe I should post about it after all. I just need to try to remember all the bits next time!

Sourdough Apple Cake

Slightly adapted from Northwest Sourdough

Ingredients

  • 170g unsalted butter
  • 113g milk
  • 113g sour cream (or yogurt)1
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 113g sugar2
  • 85g all-purpose flour
  • 140g sourdough discard (100% hydration)
  • 750-850g apples, peeled, sliced, and cored
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a casserole dish.
  2. Melt the butter over medium low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
  4. Beat in eggs.
  5. Add sugar, flour, and sourdough discard and mix to form a thin batter.
  6. In a separate bowl, toss the apple slices with the cinnamon sugar.
  7. Place the apples in the prepared casserole dish and pour the batter over them.
  8. Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon sugar over the cake.
  9. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 1 hour.
  10. Serve warm with cream or whipped cream.



1 This is the ingredient that I forgot. The original calls for sour cream. I was planning to swap it out for yogurt. Insead I forgot about it altogether and used neither. Luckily the recipe depends largely on the fruit and the batter is just there to told it together, so it didn't seem to suffer too much from the lack of cultured dairy. Back
2 I found the finished cake slightly too sweet for my tastes, but a) my apples were very sweet and b) I forgot the sour cream/yogurt, which may have had a moderating effect on the sweetness. As such, I haven't reduced the sugar for this recipe, but be aware that it is on the sweet side and you may wish to cut back a bit if you're also using very sweet fruit. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment