Friday 28 January 2022

Shirred Eggs with Leeks

TF hasn't been feeling well lately and I wanted to make her a nice breakfast both as a treat and to give her one less thing to think about in the morning. I've made a few differet varieties of baked eggs before, but this recipe was particularly appealing today because it allowed me to use up one of the leeks that's been sadly waiting in the back of the fridge for a bit over a week now. (I had plans for it but kind of lost the plot and now it's gone begging.)

I really liked this as something to kind of mix up our breakfast routine. It was very tasty and pretty easy to make. I do think I'd use a bit less cream next time though. I feel like 2 Tbsp. per egg is a bit much. I might try cutting it back to 1 Tbsp. and see how that goes.


Shirred Eggs with Leeks

Slightly adapted from The Modern Proper

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
  • 1 bell pepper, sliced
  • 4-6 green onions, sliced
  • 6 large eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. heavy or table cream (35 or 18%)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3-4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F) and grease 6 ramekins or custard cups.
  2. Melt butter over medium heat.
  3. Add leek, bell pepper, and green onions and cook until softened.
  4. Divide leek mixture between ramekins/custard cups.
  5. Break an egg into each up.
  6. Pour 1 Tbsp. of cream over each egg.
  7. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, Parmesan, chives, and parsley.
  8. Bake at 190°C (375°F) for ~15 minutes.
  9. Serve with buttered toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment