Sunday 24 October 2021

Mutton Paya

I picked up some frozen lamb's feet from the local Halal grocery store and have been trying to decide what to do with them. I debated between a few different recipes but, in the end, I liked the look of this one the best. I didn't make too many modifications: just reduced the chilies (for Kidlet compatibility) and added some tomatoes (because I found another paya recipe that called for tomatoes and I had some that needed to be used).

The flavour was excellent, but the broth was somewhat lacking in body. I think I'd probably try reducing the water next time. The author also suggested chickpeas as an optional inclusion. I didn't use any this time, but I think I'd like to try some if I make this again. I think it'd also be nice with the oil swapped out for ghee.

Mutton Paya

Slightly adapted from Tasted Recipes

Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp. ghee
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced
  • 2 black cardamom pods
  • 3 green cardamom pods
  • 2 (7cm) cinnamon sticks
  • 2 star anise
  • 8 black peppercorns
  • 5 whole cloves
  • 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic paste
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. ginger paste
  • 450g stewing lamb, mutton, and/or beef
  • 300g lambs' feet
  • 1-2 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1 tsp. ground Kashmiri chilies
  • 1-2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds, gound
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 Tbsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/2 c. roasted split chickpeas (optional)
  • 1 c. diced tomatoes (optional)
  • 1 c. water
  • 2-4 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Heat ghee over medium heat.
  2. Add onion and cook until softened.
  3. Add black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, star anise, peppercorns, cloves, and cumin seeds and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
  4. Add the garlic and ginger pastes and cook for another minute or two.
  5. Add the stewing meat and feet and cook for 3-5 minutes.
  6. Add the paprika, ground chilies, chili powder, ground coriander, salt, and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
  7. Add chickpeas and tomatoes (if using).
  8. Add water.
  9. Pressure cook (on high) for 25 minutes.
  10. Remove feet if desired.
  11. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment