Wednesday 13 October 2021

Kaleja Aloo Karhi (Liver and Potato Curry)

I'm always on the lookout for more good liver recipes. I love liver, but I like to have a few different ways of preparing it. Liver and onions is a classic, but I get bored of it pretty quickly. Liver fried rice is nice, but it's also very much a "once-in-a-while" thing for me, especially since I find it a bit fussy to prepare. And the tomato-y Burmese liver curry is alright, but it just doesn't sing to me most days.

This recipe looked interesting, but I have to admit, I was expecting that it would be on the same level as the Burmese liver curry for me: okay, but not great. Just another way to use up liver, without actually being a stand-out dish or something that I'd go out of my way for if I didn't have liver to use up.

I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good! I made a few tiny tweaks, but nothing major. And it produced a lovely, flavourful, harmonious curry that went great with a vegetable stuffed paratha and a bit of spinach-y rice (palak pulao).



Kaleja Aloo Karhi

Slightly adapted from One-Dish Meals of Asia by Jennifer Brennan

Ingredients

  • 2 onions, coarsely chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2-4 Tbsp. water
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp. aniseed
  • 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 c. ghee, divided
  • 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 450g calf/beef liver1
  • 3 fresh green Thai, finger, or serrano chilies, minced
  • 2-3 boiled potatoes, sliced into 1cm (1/2") thick discs
  • 1 tsp. tamarind concentrate
  • 1/2 c. hot water (or reserved potato cooking water)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. fresh or frozen peas
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Combine onions, garlic, coconut, water, cinnamon, cumin, aniseed, coriander, and cloves in a blender or food processor and process into a paste. You will likely only need 2 Tbsp. of water if using a food processor. The full 1/4 c. of water is likely to be required if using a blender. Set the paste aside.
  2. Heat 3 Tbsp. of ghee over medium-high heat.
  3. Add the mustard seeds and cook, covered, until seeds have stopped popping (30-60 seconds).
  4. Add liver and cook until seared on both/all sides. Remove from pan with tongs or a slotted spoon and set aside.
  5. Add potatoes and chilies to pan and cook until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
  6. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. of ghee to the pan and pour in the onion-coconut paste.
  7. Cook, stirring occastionally, until water has evaporated and mixture begins to fry.
  8. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  9. Return liver, potatoes, and chilies to the pan.
  10. Add the tamarind paste, water, salt, and peas to the pan and bring to a boil.
  11. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
  12. Stir in cilantro and cook for another minute or two.
  13. Serve with rice, flatbread, and/or vegetable side(s) of your choice.



1 The recipe calls for cubing the liver, but I missed that instruction and ended up leaving it as two large slices. I'm sure it would be good chopped into smaller pieces. This would likely make it easier to get a uniform mix of potatoes, liver, and sauce. That said, I quite liked the approach I ended up taking. I found it easier to flip and manage the cooking of two big pieces vs. lots of little pieces. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment