Wednesday 27 November 2019

Calabacitas

I needed something to go with our Bean and Cheese Sopaipillas and I had this recipe kicking around and zucchini just happened to be on sale...

I'm not normally a big fan of zucchini (unless it's in the form of zucchini bread), but this was really good! I mean, cheese and heavy cream will go a long way toward making most things good, but still... it was better than I was expecting. The Kidlet didn't care for it (I thought she'd like the corn at least), but everyone else liked it. Definitely worth keeping in mind when looking for a good vegetable side.

Calabacitas

Slightly adapted from Cook's Country August/September 2017

Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (~230g) zucchini, diced
  • 1 (~230g) yellow summer squash1, diced
  • 3-4 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs
  • 1/4 c. heavy (35%) cream
  • ~1/2 c. crumbled feta2
  • lime wedges (optional)

Directions

  1. Melt butter over medium-high heat.
  2. Add onion, poblano, bell pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook until softened (~4 minutes).
  3. Add zucchini and summer squash and cook until tender (~6 minutes).
  4. Stir in corn and cream.
  5. Pat into and even layer and cook, without stirring, until liquid has evaporated and vegetables have browned slightly (~7 minutes).
  6. Sprinkle with feta (or Cotija).
  7. Serve with lime wedges.



1 I couldn't find any yellow summer squash this time of year, so I just tossed in an extra zucchini instead. Back
2 Use Cotija cheese if you can find it. I don't think I've ever seen it for sale around here, so I generally just substitute feta instead. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment