Sunday 22 September 2019

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Waffles

While searching for advice on how to convert white flour recipes to whole wheat, I stumbled across the Whole Grains Council website. They did have some useful advice. Not as thorough or detailed as I would've hoped, but still of some use. They also had a large recipe collection. There are quite a few that I'd like to try out. I jumped on the sweet potato waffles though because I already had a bunch of sweet potatoes that needed to be used up. Conveniently, I even already had the sour cream and other various bits on hand.

Sweet Potato Waffles

Slightly adapted from Whole Grains Council

Ingredients

  • 225g whole wheat flour1
  • 1/4 c. raw (turbinado) sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 c. mashed sweet potato
  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 large eggs, separated2
  • maple syrup, whipped cream, and/or chopped pecans (optional)

Directions

  1. Start waffle iron preheating so it's ready to go once the batter is made.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine milk, sour cream, sweet potato, butter, and egg yolks and mix well.
  4. In a third bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  5. Whisk sweet potato mixture into dry ingredients and mix until blended.
  6. Add ~1/3 of the egg whites to the batter and stir vigorously to combine.
  7. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
  8. Cook as you would normal waffles. (Amount of batter and cooking time will vary depending on your waffle maker.)
  9. Served topped with maple syrup, whipped cream, and/or chopped pecans as you prefer.



1 I chose to use soft (plain/cake/standard) whole wheat flour. I recipe calls for white whole wheat flour (milled from white, rather than red wheat), but does not specify hard or soft. I think more-or-less any whole wheat flour would work well here. Back
2 I completely goofed and forgot to separate the eggs. I ended up mixing the whole eggs directly into the wet ingredients rather than beating the egg whites separately. I'm sure the waffles would've been wonderfully light had I remembered to do this. But they were still perfectly acceptable as is. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment