Sunday 14 July 2019

Strawberry Ice Cream

I know I've made strawberry ice cream at least once before. I followed the recipe from the little booklet that came with my ice cream maker. I can no longer find the booklet. A quick internet search lead me to a recipe on Epicurious. I found it unusual that it used only cream with no added milk, but decided to give it a go anyway. It seems to have turned out well: nice flavour, no lurking ice crystals. I might try replacing some of the cream with milk next time though, just to see if the recipe still works with the lower fat content.

Strawberry Ice Cream

Slightly adapted from Eipcurious

Ingredients

  • 450g fresh, ripe strawberries
  • 3/4 c. (vanilla) sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/8 tsp. salt1
  • 2 c. heavy (35%) cream2
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

Directions

  1. Hull the strawberries.
  2. Add sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
  3. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Set aside for a few minutes, then mash again.
  4. Set aside (preferably in the fridge) for 10 minutes.
  5. Drain off most of the juice and add it to the cream.
  6. Add vanilla extract to cream mixture (if using). Mix well.
  7. If you prefer a smooth, homogeneous ice cream, you can purée the strawberries and add them to the cream at this point. Personally, I prefer to leave the strawberries as they are and add them partway through churning to create a chunky, fruity ice cream.
  8. Turn on ice cream maker.
  9. Pour cream mixture into ice cream maker.
  10. Allow to churn for 15-20 minutes, until ice cream has increased in volume and started to solidify.
  11. Gradually add macerated strawberries (if you didn't purée them and add them earlier).
  12. Allow to churn for another 15 minutes or so.
  13. Turn of ice cream maker and quickly scoop ice cream into container and transfer to freezer.



1 I totally forgot to add the salt. Back
2 Next time I'd probably try 1 c. heavy (35%) cream + 1 c. whole (3.25%) milk. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment