Monday 27 May 2019

Sambhar Masala

This is a beautiful, full-flavoured spice blend. It's also a little unusual in that it contains ground roasted split peas. I don't us sambhar masala all that often, but every time I do I'm reminded of how much I like it and tell myself I should find more excuses to use it. I think sambhar masala and balti masala are probably my two all-time favourite spice blends.

Sambhar Masala

From 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. firmly-packed fresh curry leaves
  • 1/2 c. dried red Thai or cayenne chiles, stems removed
  • 1/4 c. yellow split peas
  • 1/4 c. coriander seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. cumin seeds
  • 1 Tbsp. fenugreek seeds
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard seeds
  • 1 Tbsp. white poppy seeds
  • 2 (3") cinnamon sticks, broken
  • 1 Tbsp. sesame or canola oil

Directions

  1. Combine all of the spices and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat well.
  2. Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
  3. Add the oiled spices and roast, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Transfer to a plate to cool.
  5. Once mixture is completely cool, grind (in batches if necessary).

No comments:

Post a Comment