The kidlet asked to make chocolate ice cream today, so we did! :)
Just used the basic recipe that came with the ice cream machine. Seems to have turned out pretty well. And very kid-friendly because you just stir everything together and dump it in; no cooking required!
Simple Chocolate Ice Cream
1/2 c. cocoa powder (preferably Dutched, but regular is also fine)
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. milk (any percentage should work fine, I used 1%)
1 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. heavy (35%) cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Combine cocoa powder and sugars.
2. Whisk in milk until blended and sugars dissolve. The recipe calls for using an electric mixer on low for 1 minute or so. I just whisked by hand until it looked smooth and homogeneous.
3. Mix in cream and vanilla.
4. Turn on ice cream machine and pour mixture in. (Yes, in that specific order.)
5. Churn for 30 minutes (+/- 5 minutes).
6. Serve immediately for a creamy, chocolate-y soft serve or scoop into a container and chill in the freezer for at least two hours for firmer ice cream.
7. If ice cream has been stored in the freezer, allow to soften at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.