Sunday 12 July 2015

Slow Cooker Hungarian Goulash

Goulash is one of those foods that I love, but have always had trouble with recipe-wise. I'm used to recipes with lots of seasonings and spices. How can something so simple, with only a handful of seasonings possibly come out tasty and flavourful! I know it's delicious, but I always find it hard to trust the recipe.

I've made goulash before. I'm pretty sure I've even made crockpot goulash before. But I don't have a really good "go-to" recipe. I usually just Google around until I find something that looks plausible. I've been impressed with the results from the Cook's Country recipes so far -- as long as I remember to reduce the salt! -- so I figured their goulash was worth a try too.

Hungarian Goulash
Slightly adapted from Cook's Country February/March 2015
4 lbs. stew beef
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
1/3 c. sweet Hungarian paprika (don't skimp or substitute on this!)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
5 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. canola oil
4 lbs. onions, chopped (recipe says 6 c., I got closer to 10 c.)
4-6 carrots, peeled and chunked
8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
3 Tbsp. flour
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. lactose-free sour cream (or whatever type of sour cream you prefer)
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley

1.  Season beef with 1/2 tsp. salt and place in slow cooker.
2. Blend (or process) the red peppers with the paprika, tomato paste, and vinegar. You may need to use some of the water to thin it out enough to blend smoothly.
3. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, carrot, mushrooms, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the pepper mixture, flour, and bay leaf. Stir to coat the vegetables then allow to cook, without stirring, for at least 2 minutes.
5. Scrape the bottom of the pot and deglaze with any remaining water that was not used in the blending step.
6. Add the vegetable mixture to the slow cooker and stir to coat the meat.
7. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours (or 6-7 hours on high).
8. Turn off slow cooker and let stew rest for at least 5 minutes. Skim any fat from the surface.
9. Stir 1/2. c. of broth from the stew into the sour cream to temper it. Then stir the broth-y sour cream into the stew.
10. Adjust seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve! (Preferably over egg noodles or spaetzle.)

1 comment:

  1. So I sent my husband out to get the paprika and he came back with Hungarian half-sharp, not sweet. I think I used about 3 tbsp of the half sharp and 1 tbsp normal paprika (everything else just as written), and this turned out AMAZING with a little bit of a kick! Thank you for the recipe, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete