Tuesday 7 May 2024

Lemon-Ginger Pavlova with Strawberries and Sour Cream

It wouldn't have occured to me to mix sour cream into my lemon curd if the recipe hadn't called for it. I've seen recipes for lemon mousseline that have you fold whipped cream into lemon curd. So, I guess this isn't that different from a sweet mousseline. It just never really occurred to me to use sour cream instead. Honestly, I barely remember that mousseline is a thing most of the time!

All that being said... the sour cream, lemon, ginger, and strawberry combo worked really well! I think it would've been even nicer if I'd been able to get my hands on some of the tiny, intensely-flavoured alpine strawberries that were recommended by the recipe authors, but the regular grocery store strawberries were just fine (if somewhat less punchy).

I'm still kind of torn as to whether I preferred this pav or the apricot one. TF preferred this one. Reiver preferred the apricot one. I was expecting to like this one better, and it was very good, but I think the apricots may have come out slightly ahead for me. That said, it was a near enough thing that I think which one I like best really just comes down to how I'm feeling on the day. They are both excellent and I wouldn't turn either one down!



Lemon-Ginger Pavolva with Strawberries and Sour Cream

Slightly adapted from Delicious.com.au

Ingredients

Meringue

  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 200g sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (cornflour)

Lemon-Ginger Curd

  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 140g sugar
  • 80g unsalted butter
  • zest and juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 tsp. ground ginger

Assembly

  • 250mL sour cream
  • 450g fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 6-8 slices candied ginger, chopped

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
  2. Combine egg whites and vinegar and whisk on increasing speeds until foamy.
  3. Continue increasing speed gradually to high while adding the sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
  4. Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
  5. Sprinkle over the cornstarch and mix in. Do not overmix!
  6. Scoop the meringue onto the prepared baking sheet and shape as desired.
  7. Place in oven, immediately reduce heat to 120°C (250°F), and bake for 1 hour.
  8. Turn oven off and leave pavlova in warm oven to cool for at least two hours or as long as overnight.
  9. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar over low heat.
  10. Cook, whisking constantly, for 8-10 minutes.
  11. Mix in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and ginger.
  12. Add the butter, 1 Tbsp. at a time, while continuing to whisk and cook over low heat.
  13. Once thickened, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  14. Once cooled, stir the sour cream into the lemon curd.
  15. Transfer the pavolva to a serving platter and spoon on the lemon curd mixture.
  16. Top with the strawberries and candied ginger and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment