Thursday 23 May 2024

Buckwheat Waffles with Smoked Salmon

Reiver wanted to try some unusual waffles while he was here. Initially I made croque-madame waffles, which were delicious, but not weird enough for him. (The toppings were interesting, but it was still just a basic waffle underneath.) So this was the next waffle recipe that I decided to try.

I'd made the buckwheat waffles that form the base of this recipe before. But hadn't had a specific set of toppings or flavour profile in mind when I did. This time I figured I'd follow the suggested recipe in the book and top them with smoked salmon and sour cream1. So, basically like blini, but in waffle form.



Buckwheat Waffles with Smoked Salmon

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 4-6 buckwheat waffles
  • 250g smoked salmon
  • 1/2 c. crème fraîche or sour cream
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives and/or dill
  • 2 Tbsp. capers
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Prepare your waffles.
  2. Top each with a couple slices of smoked salmon and a dollop of crème fraîche/sour cream.
  3. Garnish with red onion, chives, dill, capers, and/or pepper and serve.



1 The recipe technically called for crème fra&icric;che, but they didn't have any at my usual grocery store and I didn't want to make a separate trip out to get it, so I just used sour cream instead. Still delicious and slightly lower fat than the alternative! Back

No comments:

Post a Comment