Thursday 10 December 2020

Creole Seasoning

I wasn't super happy with the last recipe I made that used this creole seasoning. Don't get me wrong, it was good. It just wasn't great. Now, I don't think that was all down to the seasoning mix, but I think it was a contributing factor.

The recipe I was using called for "Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning" and my original recipe was a copycat of that. Yes, I removed all the salt but, trust me, that wasn't the problem here! The final dish was plenty salty. So I'm definitely glad that I used a salt-free seasoning blend. But it just wasn't quite as punchy as I would have liked.

Poking around online, I found a different creole seasoning recipe. So I decided to do a sort of mash-up of the two. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I'm going to write it down here in the hopes that I remember to look it up the next time I'm in need of creole seasoning. (I'll leave the original recipe in place below just in case I want to try it again.)

Creole Seasoning

Adapted from Daring Gourmet

Ingredients

  • 5 parts granulated garlic
  • 4 parts onion powder
  • 3 parts sweet paprika
  • 3 parts black peppercorns
  • 2 parts dried thyme
  • 2 parts dried oregano
  • 2 parts dried basil
  • 2 parts ground cayenne
  • 2 parts smoked paprika
  • 1 part celery seed
  • 1 part mustard seed
  • 1 part dried sage
  • 1 bay leaf for every tsp. of sage

Directions

  1. Place all ingredients in a spice grinder and grind.
  2. Store in a cool, dry place until ready to use.



Alternate Recipes

Copycat Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning (minus the salt)

Adapted from Food.com
This is based off of a copycat recipe for a store-bought Creole seasoning except with all the salt removed. The original was nearly 1/3 salt by volume! And called for garlic salt, celery salt, and onion salt on top of that. I replaced these salty seasonings with garlic powder, ground celery seed, and dried chopped onion respectively.

Ingredients

  • 2 parts cornstarch (cornflour)
  • 10 parts cayenne powder
  • 10 parts garlic powder
  • 8 parts black peppercorns, ground
  • 6 parts chili powder
  • 4 parts celery seed, ground
  • 4 parts ground mustard
  • 4 parts dried basil
  • 2 parts dried sage
  • 2 parts dried minced onion
  • 2 parts dried oregano
  • 1 part dried thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment