Saturday 7 November 2020

Smoky Chickpea, Cabbage, and Lentil Soup

We ate about half the lentil-cabbage soup for dinner the night I made it. I decided to try to turn the leftovers into a new soup. After dinner, I added a few more ingredients to turn it into this smoky chickpea, cabbage, and lentil soup.

The recipe below follows what I actually did. If you don't want to build this soup from a pre-existing soup, you can follow the link to the recipe I used for direction/inspiration to make this soup directly.

Smoky Chickpea, Cabbage, and Lentil Soup

Adapted from The First Mess

Ingredients

  • 1/2 recipe Cabbage-Lentil Soup
  • 1/4 tsp. hot paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 c. cooked chickpeas
  • 1 c. chopped kale
  • 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
  • 3-4 drops liquid smoke
  • bones from beef rib roast1 (optional)
Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to soup and mix well.
  2. Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
  3. Serve with salad and garlic toast.



1 A few months ago I disassembled a rib roast for a recipe. I used the meat, but didn't need the bones so I tossed them in the freezer in the hopes of finding a use for them later. I don't think this soup particularly needed the meat added to it, but I had it available and it needed to be used up. It certainly didn't hurt, I just don't think it necessarily added much. If you've got some bones or scraps of meat that seem like they'd go well in soup, toss them in2, but don't sweat it if you don't. Back
2 If the bones have already been cooked (leftover after cooking a roast or similar), just toss them straight in. If the bones are raw (as mine were), slather them with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for an hour or so before adding them to the soup. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment