Saturday 7 November 2020

Cabbage-Lentil Soup

There's been a lot going on lately and I haven't been very motivated to do recipe write-ups. I'm way, way behind. I've had a pot of soup on the go for a few days now though and I want to write it up before I forget.

I was suddenly hit by an intense craving for some sort of lentil soup. Something with a nice light broth, cabbage, and either brown or French lentils. After searching through a couple of cookbooks and browsing the internet for a while, I hit upon a recipe I liked. I found the inclusion of apple cider vinegar and white miso very appealing. And the finished soup really hit the spot. It was just what I was looking for!

Cabbage-Lentil Soup

Slightly adapted from Eating Bird Food

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, divided
  • 1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 6 c. vegetable broth
  • 1 (828mL) can diced tomatoes
  • 4 c. (~1/2 head) green or savoy cabbage, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp. red chile flakes (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 c. uncooked brown or French (puy) lentils
  • Parmesan rind (optional)
  • 1 tsp. white miso paste

Directions

  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. (Sauté setting on InstantPot.)
  2. Add onion and cook until softened (3-4 minutes).
  3. Add carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
  4. Add garlic and cook for another minute or two.
  5. Deglaze pan with 1 Tbsp. of cider vinegar.
  6. Add basil, bay leaf, pepper, broth, tomatoes, cabbage, chile flakes, and lentils.
  7. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1-2 hours. (Slow cook on high setting for InstantPot.)
  8. Stir in miso paste and remaining vinegar.
  9. Serve with bread or garlic toast and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment