Wednesday 20 April 2022

Kaaju Methi Murghi (Cashew-Fenugreek Chicken)

The last time I went to the butcher's shop, I asked them to break down and skin a chicken for me. I didn't have any immediate plans for it, but I figured I could freeze it and use it for a curry at some point in the future.

I've been on a bit of a Chinese cooking kick lately, but that takes a bit more mental effort for me. Curries are my comfort zone. So I figured this week would be a good time to bust out that chicken and lean into the chicken and potato curries for easy dinner fixes. I especially appreciate that this curry doesn't require a marinade. It means that I can throw it together as a relatively last-minute dinner as long as I have the chicken on hand.



Kaaju Methi Murghi

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. canola (or other neutral) oil, divided
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced
  • 1/4 c. raw cashew nuts
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamom seeds from green pods
  • 2 fresh green Thai, cayenne, or arbol chilies
  • 1 (7-8cm) cinnamon stick, crushed/broken
  • 1 c. water, divided
  • 1 (1.5kg) chicken1, jointed and skinned
  • 1/2 Tbsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh or frozen fenugreek leaves

Directions

  1. Heat 2 Tbsp. of oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Add onion, cashews, cumin, cloves, cardamom, chilies, and cinnamon and stir-fry for ~5 minutes.
  3. Transfer stir-fried mixture to blender along with 1/2 c. of water and purée until smooth.
  4. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil over medium heat.
  5. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer. Cook, turning every 2-3 minutes, for 7-8 minutes.
  6. Add the onion sauce from the blender.
  7. Wash out the blender with the remaining water and add it to the pan.
  8. Add the salt, turmeric, and fenugreek and stir to coat the chicken in the sauce.
  9. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring and turning occasionally, for ~20 minutes.
  10. Serve with rice and/or flatbreads and whatever vegetables you prefer.



1 My chicken was very large, so I only used half a chicken for my recipe. This required extending the cooking time by about 20 (because the pieces were larger and took longer to cook through), but didn't necessitate any other changes to the recipe. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment