Tuesday 27 July 2021

Peanut Butter Mug Cookie

I've made a few differen mug cakes over the years, but it never really occurred to me to try a mug cookie before. I'm actually pretty pleased with how this one turned out. It's especially good with a square of chocolate plopped on top to get all melty and delicious during the last minute or so of cooking.

The original recipe called for 3 Tbsp. of smooth peanut butter + 1 Tbsp. of chopped peanuts. I only had crunchy peanut butter on hand, so I decided to just go with 1/4 c. of crunchy and that worked out great. I like using a "natural", just-peanuts-style peanut butter. It should work fine with sweetened (and salted) peanut butters as well, but I would be inclined to cut back on the sugar slightly if using one of those.

Peanut Butter Mug Cookie

Slightly adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. butter1
  • 1/4 c. crunchy peanut butter (preferably "natural")
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk2
  • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 square of chocolate (optional)

Directions

  1. Place the butter and peanut butter in a large mug and microwave for 30-60 seconds to soften.
  2. Mix to combine.
  3. Stir in sugar.
  4. Add egg yolk and mix well.
  5. Stir in flour.
  6. Now add the milk and vanilla and mix well.
  7. Microwave for 1-3 minutes in 1-minute bursts. The exact amount of time needed will depend on the mug and the microwave being used. Microwave until set and cooked through.
  8. If desired, once the cookie is almost done, add a square of chocolate on top before putting it in for the last 1-minute burst.



1 I used unsalted butter. I think salted would also be okay for this application. Back
2 In future, I'd be inclined to try making this with a whole egg. I suspect 1 medium egg would work in place of the large egg yolk. It'd be a little less rich, of course, but I think it'd still work. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment