Sunday 24 May 2020

Petaluma Rye

I abused this recipe quite a bit. First I halved it. Then I converted it to use sourdough starter. And then I converted that to a sponge method. I think it's gonna be okay in the end but it was touch-and-go for a while. I was going for a very stiff sponge since I wanted to do a long room temperature ferment. I think I may have made it a bit too stiff though. I also didn't properly feed and activate my starter before using it. (I've been a bit stingy on my feedings and the starter is a bit more sluggish than it probably should be.) This all contributed to a very, very slow rise. The sponge hardly did anything overnight and the full dough, once it was mixed and kneaded, took ~9 hours to complete its first rise!

I think next time I'd try making the sponge a little wetter. If I'm still not happy with the results I get from that, I'll see if adding a bit of fresh yeast when mixing up the full dough improves matters. If nothing else, it should help speed up the rise (which is mostly what I'm after here). I think I probably also should've swapped the buttermilk out for milk since the starter is already lowering the pH. Leaving out the lemon juice might've been a good idea as well.

What follows is not what I did this time, but rather my notes-to-myself ideas for what I'd like to try next time.

Petaluma Rye

Adapted from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book

Ingredients

Sponge

  • 100g hard (bread/strong/high grade) whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 6 Tbsp. water
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 c. sourdough starter (100% hydration)

Full Dough

  • 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 175g hard (bread/strong/high grade) whole wheat flour
  • 65g rye flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp. caraway seeds

Directions

Sponge

  1. Combine the flour and salt.
  2. Dissolve the honey in the water.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the starter and the honey-water.
  4. Mix to form a stiff dough.
  5. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 18 hours.

Dough

  1. Combine the lemon juice and oil with the milk.
  2. Combine both flours and the caraway seeds.
  3. Add milk mixture to sponge and squish and squeeze until it's thoroughly mixed.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the sponge mixture.
  5. Mix, working from the centre outward.
  6. Once most of the flour has been incorporated, turn the dough out onto a work surface and begin kneading.
  7. Knead for ~10 minutes.
  8. Shape into a ball and place in a covered bowl to rise.
  9. Once dough no longer returns a wet fingerprint, knock it back.
  10. Shape into a ball and return to bowl to rise again.
  11. Knock back again, shape into a ball, and pull gluten taut across the top surface.
  12. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  13. Shape into a loaf by pressing flat, folding into thirds, and rolling up.
  14. Place in a greased loaf pan, cover, and set to rise for ~45 minutes.
  15. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment